- 1 whole head of garlic
- 3 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Peel away just the outer layers garlic skin. Cut between 1/4 and 1/2-inch off the top of the whole bulb, exposing the open tops of the individual cloves of garlic.
- Place the whole garlic bulb in a small baking dish and dribble with a few drops of olive oil, making sure the entire top is thinly coated. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. The cloves of garlic should be soft. Allow to cool completely before squeezing out the garlic into a small bowl.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add potatoes and boil them for 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and mash them with buttermilk, butter, salt, pepper, and the roasted garlic.
- If you really want to get all spiffy-do, spread the mashed potatoes into a casserole pan, dot with butter and sprinkle with cheese and/or breadcrumbs. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes, or until you get a nice golden crown.
Source: Fearless Fresh
(Visited 36 times, 1 visits today)