- 4 Whole sardines or 8 sardine fillets
- 4 Heirloom tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Handful of caper berries, halved
- Handful of olives, pitted & halved
- Bunch of fresh basil
- 3 Garlic cloves, chopped
- Pinch of peperoncino or chilli flakes
- Dash of dry white wine
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Heat oil on medium; sauté garlic and chilli flakes for about 5mins until fragrant. Pour in wine and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, caper berries, olives, and cook for about 5mins until sauce starts to thicken. Season with salt & pepper. Stir in half the basil and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven for grilling (broiling). Season sardines with salt & pepper, place on oven tray and grill for about 5 to 8mins until cooked through.
- Place sardines on top of tomato sauce and garnish with fresh basil. Serve with bread on the side to mop up the delicious sauce.
Source: Cooking In The City
(Visited 31 times, 1 visits today)