- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for frying
- 1 lb ground chicken (or ground pork)
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup plain breadcrumbs (use gluten free if needed)
- 2 chipotles en adobo, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 each large red, yellow, orange, and green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut in half and sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (optional, for extra heat)
- Combine the chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, chipotles, cilantro, salt, pepper, oregano and chili powder in a large bowl and mix with hands until thoroughly combined.
- Wet your hands and form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the meatballs and fry until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the peppers and onion and to the skillet along with another tablespoon of olive oil and fry until softened, 5 minutes. If you want a little more heat, add 2 teaspoons of adobo sauce from the can. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the meatballs to the skillet, stir to combine, cover, and cook for another 5-8 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve with seasoned rice.
Source: The Daring Gourmet
(Visited 27 times, 1 visits today)