Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 Carrots, Peeled And Diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1 Medium Onion, Peeled And Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Peeled And Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Chopped or Pureed Tomatoes
- 1 Pound Shelled Fresh Fava Beans
- 1 1/2 Cups Farro
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Cup Chopped, Fresh Parsley
- 1 1/2 Quarts Homemade Broth (See Above)
- Mashed Fresh Fava Beans (See Note Above)
- Grated Pecorino Cheese
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil and then add the carrots, celery, onions, and garlic.
- Sauté until tender over medium heat, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, farro, dried oregano and broth.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer everything over low heat until the farro becomes tender, adding a cup or two of water as needed if the soup becomes too thick.
- After 10 minutes of cooking time, add the fava beans and the chopped parsley to the pot.
- The farro should be tender to the bite but not mushy, which takes between 20 to 25 minutes of cooking over low heat.
- Taste the soup, and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Serve in individual bowls, using your garnish of choice.
(Visited 121 times, 1 visits today)