Easy Fish with Tausi Recipe (Fish with Salted Black Beans)
Fish with salted black beans is one of the Asian fish recipes that I enjoy for a couple of reasons: it is quick and easy to prepare; and it really tastes awesome – even when eaten with plain white rice. This fish recipe is perfect for lent and for people who love to eat fish most of the time.
You can use any type of fish fillet with white meat for this recipe. I usually get whatever frozen fish fillet that is on sale from my local grocer. I do not recommend salmon or tuna for this recipe as both have empowering taste that can affect the overall flavor of the dish. Try mahi-mahi, cod, tilapia, or even cream dory.
In order to balance the taste of the black beans (since it is very salty), I soak it in warm water before cooking. It will really be nice if you have all the ingredients ready because each has its own contribution that makes this dish perfect.
Try this Easy Fish with Tausi Recipe (Fish with Salted Black Beans). Enjoy!
- Serves: 3
- Serving size: 3
- 1 lb. fish fillet (mahi-mahi, cod, or cream dory), cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons salted black beans (tausi)
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 5 tablespoons sherry cooking wine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ¾ cups chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Marinate the fish by combining 3 tbsp. sherry cooking wine, salt, and 1 tsp. sesame oil in a bowl. Mix well. Add the fish cubes and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Soak the salted black beans in warm water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside. We will use this later.
- Start to fry the fish by heating the oil in a cooking pot. Remove the fish from the marinade. Roll the fish cubes on a bowl with 3 tablespoons cornstarch. Make sure that the fish is fully coated. Fry the coated fish until the color turns light brown. Remove from the cooking pot and place in a plate. Set aside.
- Make the sauce by combining the chicken broth, ½ tsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp. sherry cooking wine, ground black pepper, ½ tbsp. cornstarch, and sugar. Mix well.
- On a separate frying pan, heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil (re-use the oil that fried the fish). Saute garlic, ginger, and salted black beans for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Put-in the fried fish cubes. Stir.
- Pour-in the sauce mixture. Stir and continue to cook until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Sprinkle some green onions.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Aside from this recipe, there are other dishes that you can make using salted black beans. Here are my suggestions:
- Pork with Salted Black Beans
- Tofu in Black Bean Sauce
- Tilapia with Salted Black Beans
- Tofu with Tausi and Straw Mushrooms
- Pork and Tofu in Oyster Sauce
Recommended for you