- 1½ lbs. firm fish (catfish, cod, halibut, tilapia, mahi mahi), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (if toasting bread crumbs)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place wire rack on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Mix panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish.
- Optional: If you want the fish to brown a little more then toast the bread crumbs: Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat and add bread crumb mixture. Saute until toasted brown and scoop back into the shallow dish.
- Place buttermilk in another shallow dish (I use pie plates or cake pans).
- Season the fish on both sides with additional salt and pepper.
- Dip fish in buttermilk then dredge in bread crumbs.
- Place fish on wire rack.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve immediately.
Source:In A Southern Kitchen
(Visited 43 times, 1 visits today)