Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
A smokey flavor combines well with the sweetness of the potatoes in this creamy soup.
- 1 Large Sweet Onion, Peeled & Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 2 Pounds Sweet Potatoes, Peeled & Diced
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 – 3/4 Teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Diced Multigrain Bread (Cut Into 1/2 Inch Pieces)
- 3 Tablespoons Diced Pancetta
- 1 Teaspoon Olive OIl
- Cracked Black Pepper
- In a heavy stock pot, heat the olive oil and then cook the onions over medium heat until they are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes, chicken broth, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, chili powder and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low boil and cook until the potatoes are very soft, about 25 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender and blend the soup until very smooth.
- Add the milk and cream and heat to a simmer.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Keep the soup warm while you prepare the garnish.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil, then add the pancetta and stirring often, cook until it is no longer pink.
- Add the croutons and cracked black pepper, and carefully stir and cook the croutons until they are crisp and golden brown.
- Serve the soup in individual bowls topped with some of the crouton pancetta garnish.