Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 1 Pound Dried Chickpeas (or 5 Cups Canned)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped Pancetta
- 1 Carrot, Diced
- 1 Onion, Peeled & Diced
- 1 Stalk Celery, Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Peeled & Minced
- 4+ Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Cup Farro
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Crisp Pancetta Bits (Optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil and then add the pancetta, carrots, onion, celery and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender and the pancetta pieces are lightly browned, about 8 minutes
- Add the chickpeas to the pot with the vegetables and cover everything with broth by at least 1 inch.
- Season with salt and pepper, oregano, and rosemary.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and slowly simmer for another 15 minutes or so to develop and meld the flavors.
- Remove half the bean and vegetable mixture, and puree until smooth in a food processor, then return to the pot.
- Add the farro to the pot, and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the farro is just about tender to the bite. If the soup gets too thick, add additional broth to thin as needed.
- Taste, and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with some cracked black pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle top of soup with the crispy pancetta bits if using and serve.
Note:To cook your beans from dried, starting the night before, place a 1 pound package of dried beans in a bowl and cover with water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest overnight