- 4 to 6 pounds beef brisket, visible fat untrimmed
- One 12-ounce can Coca Cola*
- 1 envelope dried onion soup mix (yes, seriously)
- 1 cup bottled chili sauce (may substitute ketchup)
- To make the Coca Cola Brisket in your slow cooker, see the Slow Cooker Variation below.
- To make the Coca Cola Brisket on the stovetop, preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Pat the brisket dry with paper towels. Place the brisket in a nonreactive roasting pan or a glass baking dish just large enough to snugly fit the brisket.
- Mix the Coke, chili sauce, and dried onion soup mix in a bowl and pour it over the brisket. Cover the baking dish or roasting pan tightly with aluminum foil. Roast the brisket until tender, about 30 minutes per pound (so figure 2 to 3 hours total, depending on the size of your brisket).
- Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, skim the fat from the surface of the pan juices and discard. Pour the defatted pan juices into a gravy boat or, if a thicker consistency is desired, pour the juices into a saucepan and simmer until reduced slightly.
- Trim any visible fat from the brisket, then thinly slice it against the grain. Pile the slices of brisket on a platter and pass the warm pan juices on the side.
SLOW COOKER VARIATION
- This four-ingredient recipe just got even simpler. Place the brisket in the slow cooker.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the brisket.
- Cook on low for 9 hours. Transfer the meat to a cutting board to rest.
- Skim any fat from the surface of the sauce. If a thicker sauce is desired, pour the sauce into a saucepan and simmer until reduced to the desired consistency.
- Slice or shred the brisket and serve with the sauce.
Source: Leite’s Culinaria
(Visited 36 times, 1 visits today)