- 2 chicken breasts, halved
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (alternatives: marsala wine or beef stock)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-low to medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add sliced onions. Season with salt and cook for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Onions will reduce and begin to brown in color.
- After 30 minutes, add balsamic vinegar and bring temperature to medium-high heat. Continue cooking until the wine has evaporated and the onions have become a dark, honeyed brown. In the last 5 minutes, toss in thyme and finish cooking.
- While the onions are cooking, prepare chicken breasts: season with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate skillet over medium-high heat remaining olive oil and sauté chicken breasts until cooked through and nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side. Set aside.
- To serve, top chicken with caramelized onions.
Source: 12 Tomatoes
(Visited 19 times, 1 visits today)