Preparation Time:15 mins
Cooking Time: 2 hrs
- 5 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 8 Medium Sized Chicken Thighs, or One (3 pound) Chicken Cut Into Pieces
- 1 Small Onion, Peeled and Finely Diced
- 5 Cloves Garlic, Peeled and Minced
- 1 Red Chili Pepper, Finely Minced
- 3/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 1/2 Cups Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Green Tops From 4 Scallion Onions
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottom pan, and once hot, brown half the chicken pieces on each side until golden brown over medium high heat, about 3 to 4 minutes each side.
- Brown the rest of the chicken pieces and then move all to a plate.
- Add the chopped onion to the pan, and cook over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili pepper to the pan and cook another minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the wine to the pan and turn the heat up to high.
- Use a fork to scrape up any brown bits off the bottom of the pan, and cook until the wine has reduced by 1/3 volume.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan along with the tomatoes, dried oregano, and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about an hour.
- Remove the cover, and cook an additional 15 to 20.
- At this point, the sauce should have thickened and the chicken should be so tender it falls off the bone.
- Alternately, instead of cooking the chicken on the stovetop, you could place the pot with the chicken and sauce in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F. and cook for an hour and a half, then uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- To serve, place the chicken on a warmed platter and spoon the sauce over top.
- Sprinkle with the chopped onions and serve immediately.
(Visited 53 times, 1 visits today)