- 6 pcs chicken legs
- 1/2 cup achuete oil*
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and finely chopped
- 6 tbsp kalamansi juice or lime juice
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsps muscovado sugar
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, then place in the refrigerator overnight. Reserve marinade. Boil the marinade and set aside.
- When ready to cook, skewer the chicken on bamboo sticks and cook slowly over a charcoal fire, turning the chicken once and basting occasionally with the reserved marinade.
- Alternatively, you can cook the chicken in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Transfer chicken to a foil lined baking sheet.
- Roast the chicken, basting occasionally with the reserved marinade, until the chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Tip: use some pandan leaves tied on a stick as a basting brush. The pandan imparts a lovely flavour on the chicken
*Achuete oil :
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup achuete seeds
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 ancho chilies, crushed, stemmed and seeded
Warm the oil and the remaining ingredients over medium heat. When it begins to bubble, turn off the heat and allow the mixture to steep for at least 1 hour or up to 2 hours. Strain the oil through a fine mesh strainer and let cool. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate.