- Chicken cuts
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice or calamansi juice
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped (optional)
For annatto oil to be used for basting:
- 6 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp annatto (atsuete) powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
1. Combine garlic, crushed peppercorns, calamansi or lemon juice, vinegar and salt.
2. Place the chicken pieces in the marinade for at least an hour, or overnight. Keep in the fridge until ready to cook.
Prepare the Annatto Oil:
3. Heat oil in a pan, add annatto powder and stir until the oil becomes red orange in color; turn off heat and set aside to cool. Strain oil by using a piece of cloth to remove annatto powder residue.
4. In the same pan, heat annatto oil and saute minced garlic until lightly browned.
5. Grill the marinated chicken basting occasionally with annatto oil. Turn and cook for 10-15 minutes or more.
6. Serve with rice. Enjoy!
7. Combine 2 tbsp of soy sauce and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Add chili pepper or siling labuyo if desired.