- 500 g fatty pork belly strips, boneless & skin off
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- 1 tbsp chinese wine
- 2 tbsp honey, plus extra for glazing
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- Heat a wok on medium heat. When the wok is hot enough, pour 2 tbsp vegetable oil into the wok.
- Place the pork belly strips into the wok and gently brown both sides for about 3-4 minutes. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients into the wok. Stir and ensure the pork belly strips are coated well with the sauce.
- Turn the heat to low and gently simmer for 40 minutes or until pork belly is tender. Turn the pork belly every 10 minutes to ensure both sides are evenly cooked.
- By 30 minutes, the sauce will be reduced by half and start turning sticky. Once the pork belly is tender to touch, remove from the wok. Then pour the sauce into a clean bowl and reserve that to dress your steamed rice. Leave a tbsp of sauce/oil in the wok.
- Heat the wok on medium heat and return the pork belly back into the wok. Sear the meat on both sides for about 2-3 minutes each side until they are charred to your liking.
- Remove and glaze with honey. Then, slice the pork belly. Serve with warm steamed rice, noodles or bao.
Source: Honest Cooking
(Visited 66 times, 1 visits today)