Put the pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Once the water is at a rolling boil, turn off the heat and cover the pot with the lid. Allow the eggs to sit in the hot water for the following times according to the desired doneness: 3 minutes for SOFT boiled; 6 minutes for MEDIUM boiled; 12 minutes for HARD boiled.
How much water do I need to boil 4 eggs?
Place the eggs in a single layer at the bottom of the saucepan. Add more water so that the eggs are covered by at least an inch or two of water. The more eggs that are crowding the pan the more water you should have over the eggs. 6 eggs should be covered by at least an inch, 7 to 12 eggs, 2 inches.
How do you boil the perfect 4 eggs?
How to Boil Eggs
- Step 1: Place eggs in the bottom of a saucepan. …
- Step 2: Fill the pan with cold water, 1 inch above the eggs.
- Step 3: Bring the water to a rapid boil on the stovetop over high heat.
- Step 4: Once the water comes to a boil, cover the pan with a lid and remove the pan from the heat.
How do you boil the perfect egg every time?
- Put the eggs in a saucepan of cold water. …
- Bring the water to a rolling boil. …
- Prepare an ice bath. …
- Turn off the heat and cover the pan. …
- Set your timer for the desired time. …
- Crack the cooked eggs gently. …
- Place the eggs in a bowl of ice water. …
- Peel and eat!
What are the different ways to boil an egg?
Two to four minutes for soft-boiled eggs with a runny yolk and semi-firm white. Five to six minutes for medium-boiled eggs with a yolk the texture of custard. Seven to eight minutes for hard-boiled eggs with a bit of creaminess left in the yolk. Nine to 10 minutes for hard-boiled eggs with firm yolks.
Do you boil water before adding eggs?
Bring a large pot of water to a boil
Make sure you add enough water to cover all your eggs completely. Eggs that aren’t completely submerged will be unevenly cooked. … According to our tests, starting with hot water yields eggs that are easier to peel—so always start by boiling your water.
How long should an egg boil?
Place eggs in a medium pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat off. Let the eggs cook, covered, for 9 to 12 minutes, depending on your desired done-ness (see photo). Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water and chill for 14 minutes.
How long do I boil eggs from cold water?
How to boil an egg, step by step
- Bring your eggs to room temperature before boiling. If the eggs are too cold, the shells may crack during cooking.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan of cold water. Place the pan over medium heat. …
- Simmer the eggs for 4 minutes for soft-boiled eggs.
How do you know when boiled eggs are done?
If you’re wondering how to tell an egg is hard boiled, set it on the counter and give a quick spin. Once it’s moving, tap your finger on it to stop the spinning. Eggs that are cooked will spin easily and rapidly and stop quickly.
How long should I boil an egg for runny yolk?
How long to boil an egg:
- 5 minutes: set white and runny yolk – just right for dipping into.
- 6 minutes: liquid yolk – a little less oozy.
- 7 minutes: almost set – deliciously sticky.
- 8 minutes: softly set – this is what you want to make Scotch eggs.
- 10 minutes: the classic hard-boiled egg – mashable but not dry and chalky.
Do you put eggs in hot or cold water to boil?
If you’re about to place uncooked eggs in a pot of boiling water, stop what you’re doing immediately. Making hard-boiled eggs should always begin with cool water. Bringing the water and eggs up in temperature together helps promote even cooking and prevent cracking. Follow this tip: Always start with cold water.
Do you boil eggs in hot or cold water?
First, place the eggs in a saucepan. Add enough water so that there is an inch of water covering the eggs. Heat the water until it’s just about to boil, then take the pot off the heat and cover it. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 25 minutes, then plunge them in ice water.
Do you put eggs in cold water after boiling?
After boiling your eggs for 10-12 minutes, put them in cold water to bring the temperature down rapidly and stop the cooking process. You can even use ice cubes in your water, and you can change the water as it warms.
How do you hard boil eggs in boiling water?
Bring a pot of water to boil. Once the water’s boiling, use a large slotted spoon to gently lower the eggs into the water. Boil for 11 minutes (Note: For soft-boiled eggs, cook for 6 minutes.) Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water and let sit until the shells are cold to the touch.
Can you boil eggs in a steamer?
Place steamer insert inside, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add eggs to steamer basket, cover, and continue cooking, 6 minutes for soft-boiled eggs or 12 minutes for hard-boiled. Serve immediately if serving hot. … (The water helps get under the shell and lift it off the egg.)