Binagoongang Baboy Recipe (Pork in Shrimp Paste)
Binagoongang Baboy or Pork in Shrim Paste is a Filipino Pork dish that is perfect to eat with lots and lots of white rice. the name of this dish literally means pork in shrim paste or pork cooked with shrimp paste. “Bagoong” is a Filipino (Tagalog) term for Shrimp paste, while pork is called “baboy”.
I consider pork in shrimp paste as an everyday dish. I usually have this for dinner and I also make many versions of this dish — some versions us hot chili peppers, and there are the sweet and salty version. This binagoongang baboy recipe (also called pork binagoongan) is a simple non-spicy version. I added fried eggplants to help balance the flavor — this means that it can prevent us form eating too much rice.
I am using cooked shrimp paste for this recipe. You can use the ready-to-eat-shrimp paste that comes in bottles. Barrio Fiesta and Kamayan are good brands. If you want to cook your own bagoong, check out this how to cook shrimp paste post.
Try this Binagoongang Baboy Recipe (Pork in Shrimp Paste). Let me know what you think.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 4
- 1½ lbs. pork shoulders, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup shrimp paste (cooked)
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2½ cups beef broth
- 1 medium Chinese eggplant, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat the oil in a cooking pot.
- Pan fry the sliced eggplants for 3 minutes per side. Remove the fried eggplants and place in a plate. Set aside.
- On the same pan, add the garlic, tomato, and onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until both onions and tomatoes are soft.Note: add more cooking oil if needed.
- Add the pork slices in. Cook until the color of the pork turns light brown.
- Pour-in the beed broth. Let boil. Cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until the pork is tender.
- Add the shrimp paste. Stir and cook in low to medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Note: there should still be some liquid in the pot. If the pot is almost dry, add 1 cup of beef broth.
- Add the fried eggplant.
- Tranfer to a serving plate.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Recommended for you