- A tbsp of olive oil
- 800g beef brisket, trimmed of all fat and cut into chunks
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
- half a swede, peeled and diced
- a beef oxo cube
- water, to cover
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp marmite or bovril
- a pinch of dried sage
- a glug or two of Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 tbsp dried red lentils
- 2 tbsp dried pearl barley
- 2-3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160deg C.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and, when hot, add half the beef and sear on all sides. When seared, decant into a deep pan or casserole dish. Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Add the onion to the pan and reduce the heat. Allow the onion to cook for around 5 minutes or until it is softened and transparent. In the last few minutes, add the grated garlic. When cooked, decant into the casserole dish.
- Add the carrot and swede to the casserole dish.
- To the frying pan, add enough water to approximately cover the contents of the casserole dish and begin heating it as you add the oxo cube (crumbled in), the tomato ketchup, tomato puree, marmite (or Bovril), sage and Worcestershire sauce. Allow to come to a boil, then decant into the casserole.
- Add the lentils and pearl barley and stir to combine.
- Cover and place the casserole in the oven and cook for 90 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the potato and parsnip. If you are adding dumplings, you may need to add a little water to increase the gravy level. Check the seasoning and give a good stir to combine, then replace in the oven for another 60 minutes.
Source:Jenny Eatswell’s Rhubarb & Ginger
Via: Beef Stew Recipe
(Visited 23 times, 1 visits today)