Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 2 1/2 hours
For beef stew:
- 2 lbs. beef brisket, uncut
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 pcs. star anise
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped (for garnishing)
- Salt to taste
For the soup:
- 3 stalks green onions, cut into 2-inch length
- 1 medium size onion, quartered
- ½ head garlic, chopped
- 1 pc beef cube
- 1 tsp peppercorn
- 1 stalk green onions, finely chopped (for garnishing)
For the garlic fried rice:
- 5 cups cooked rice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Place the beef in a big sauce pan. Add enough water to cover the meat (about 2L) and bring to a boil over medium low heat until scum appears on the surface. Clear the scum off the broth.
- Add all the soup ingredients except the green onions for garnishing. Add salt to taste. Cover the saucepan. Adjust heat to low and simmer for 1 to 2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- When the meat is tender, remove from the sauce pan and allow to cool down.
- Meanwhile, transfer the broth to another sauce pan, leaving about 2 cups of it in the original sauce pan. The broth in the new sauce pan will be the soup. Simmer over low heat until ready to serve.
- Slice the beef in cubes and return to original sauce pan.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar, bay leaf, star anise, ginger, and black pepper. Season with salt to suit your taste.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat until the sauce thickens that is about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with garlic fried rice and the reserved beef soup. Garnish beef stew and soup with chopped green onions.
How to make garlic fried rice:
- In a wok over medium heat, saute garlic in olive oil until golden brown.
- Add rice and mix well with the garlic. Season with salt to suit your taste.
- Stir fry on medium heat until the rice is heated through. Remove from heat.
- Fill a bowl or cup with rice. Place the bowl or cup upside down on a serving plate, then lift.
- Garnish with fried garlic on top.
(Visited 645 times, 1 visits today)