- 3 lbs. beef shoulder roast
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
- 1 medium sized carrot, quartered lengthwise
- 1 celery stalk, cut into same length as the carrot
- 1 whole pickled cucumber (large pickles), quartered lengthwise
- 1 pc. hickory smoked sausage, quartered lengthwise
- 4 slices hickory smoked bacon
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium sized onion,chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Parsley flakes, for garnish
- Slice the beef into thin sheets. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Wrap a quarter of carrot, celery, sausage and pickled cucumber with a slice of bacon.
- Put on one end of each slice of beef.
- Roll the beef, keeping the filling in the center. Tie with kitchen twine to ensure that the roll won’t open up while cooking.
- Dredge each beef roll in flour. In a big skillet over medium heat, fry rolls in vegetable oil until they are evenly light brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute garlic, onions and tomatoes in 2 Tbsp oil (where you fried the rolls) for a minute. Add the stock, bay leaves, pineapple juice, soy sauce and tomato sauce.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to suit your taste. Reduce heat to medium low. Add the beef rolls and simmer for about two hours or until tender. Remove beef rolls from saucepan and allow to cool down a little.
- Remove kitchen twine from the rolls. Cut into slices, approximately 1/2 inch thick and arrange on a serving plate. Pour sauce over the roll slices. Garnish with parsley flakes then serve.
(Visited 260 times, 1 visits today)