Beef and Mushroom Braised Stew is a rich and flavorful beef stew dish that I enjoy eating with mashed potato. Sometimes, I also eat the leftovers for breakfast with a freshly made hash brown casserole. You should find this recipe easy; it is intended for beginners or for those who do not have much cooking experience yet.
I started out by rubbing salt and pepper all over the beef cubes. This will let the meat absorb the flavor. I then browned the beef using a small amount of butter then sautéed the mushroom with the onion and garlic. I made sure that the mushroom and onions were soft before I added the beef back. Once the beef and mushrooms are combined, you can add the beef broth along with the remaining spices and tomato paste. This will be the time to let the mixture boil and simmer until the meat gets tender. In the process, all the flavors from the added herbs and seasonings will come out and mix with the stew. You will notice that the dish starts smell real good. The last step is to add the cream of mushroom.
The recipe below along with the pictures will guide you in the process. Aside from mashed potato, you can also enjoy this with rice or dinner rolls.
Try this Beef and Mushroom Braised Stew Recipe. Send us your feedback.
- 2 lbs. beef sirloin or chuck, cut into cubes
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 lbs. chopped white mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 can (10 oz.) cream of mushroom
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Rub salt and ground black pepper on the beef. Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a Dutch oven or cooking pot. Put the beef in and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the color turns light brown.
- Remove the beef. Set Aside. Melt the remaining butter in the same cooking pot.
- Once the butter melts, saute the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Continue to cook until the mushrooms become soft.
- Add the beef. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, parsley, oregano, and beef broth. Stir and let boil. Cover and simmer 60 min.
- Add the cream of mushroom. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Transfer to a serving plate. Share and enjoy!