Asian BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs is a good idea for a family picnic lunch. This recipe is also worthy for your Super Bowl menu, if you are looking for dishes with an Asian twist. This baby back ribs recipe is tasty and so tender. It literally falls-off the bone, so handle with care.
Instead of using traditional barbecue sauce, I tried to make my version of Asian barbecue sauce to make this unique. The taste had a hint of beef pares and pork asado. The meat was super tender and very flavorful.
How to Cook Asian BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs
It might take a while to make your own Asian BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs. However, I think that it is worth the wait because it is good and you will be proud of yourself once you try the result.
Let’s start to revisit the steps that I did this dish. The first thing to do is to clean the baby back ribs. Wash it with running water, pat dry, and lay on a chopping board. Remove the white layer (membrane) located at the back of the slab. Once the ribs are ready, it is time to marinate it in Teriyaki sauce. This will infuse more flavor to the ribs.
You will need a resealable plastic bag for this process. Use Ziploc, Hefty, or any brand that you trust. Place the ribs inside the bag and then pour the Teriyaki sauce in. I am using my homemade Teriyaki sauce for this recipe. Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour (I did it for 3 hours).
Once the ribs are ready, lay these flat on a slow cooker and add the ingredients specified in the recipe below. Slow cook for 3 hours. Make sure to set your unit to high. The Asian barbecue sauce can be prepared while waiting for the ribs to be tender. Make the sauce by adding all the sauce ingredients. Mix well and set aside. You will need to apply the sauce before baking the ribs.
Arrange the slow cooked ribs in a baking tray. Line aluminum foil on the tray for easy clean-up. Brush a generous amount of sauce all over the ribs. Make sure that you leave a small amount of sauce for later use. Bake in the oven for around 12 to 15 minutes. Once the ribs are done, brush with the remaining sauce to bring back the nice glaze.
Try this Asian BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs Recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 (2½ to 3 lbs.) slab baby back ribs
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¾ cup Teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ⅛ teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- Clean the baby back ribs and remove the layer of white membrane at one side. Slice the slab into 3 to 4 pieces.
- Arrange the ribs in a resealable bag and then add the Teriyaki sauce. Remove the air in the bag, seal, and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Arrange the marinated baby back ribs, onion, ginger, garlic, five spice powder, and chicken broth in a slow cooker. Set the cooker to high and slow cook for 3 hours.
- Make the asian barbecue sauce by combining the barbecue sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Carefully remove the baby back ribs from the slow cooker. Gently rub-of the onion and other ingredients used in the slow cooker from the ribs. Arrange in a baking tray lined with aluminum foil.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Brush the barbecue sauce all over the ribs. Leave some sauce for later use. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush the remaining sauce. Serve!
- Share and enjoy!