Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Servings: Makes 12
A healthy, moist muffin that is great for breakfast or as a quick snack throughout the day.
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour (Or 1 Cup All-purpose & 1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
- 3/4 Cup Oat Bran
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Dash of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Low Fat Buttermilk
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Melted Butter (Or Coconut Oil)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cup Finely Diced Apples
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line a 12 cup muffin tin with papers.
- Whisk together the flour, oat bran, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and cinnamon in one bowl.
- In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk, honey, butter, eggs, apples, and nuts.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
- Divide the batter into the muffin cups.
- If using the topping, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingers.
- Sprinkle each muffin with some of the topping ingredients, then bake for about 20 minutes or just until firm to the touch.
- Turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.