Chicken Binakol is a delicious chicken soup dish. Popular in Visayas Region speciallyin Iloilo. This is similar to tinolang manok, instead of regular water we used coconut water and coconut meat. This simple Filipino dish is traditionally cooked inside the bamboo and they used native chicken to give more aroma and taste.
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 whole chicken (about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs), cut into serving pieces
- 3 cups young coconut water
- 1 1/2 cups young coconut meat
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 small green papaya, wedged
- 1 cup hot pepper leaves
- 4 stalks lemon grass, cut in 1 inch length and pounded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 knob ginger(about 1 tablespoon), chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat a cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil.
- Saute garlic when the oil is hot.
- Put-in onions, ginger, and lemon grass, and then cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken. Stir and cook until the color turns light brown (about 3 to 5 minutes)
- Add ground black pepper and fish sauce. Stir.
- Put-in the young coconut meat, young coconut water, and chicken broth. Allow to boil, and then simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add the green papaya. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put-in the hot pepper leaves and cook for a minute more.
- Turn the heat off, and then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve with steamed rice.
- Share and enjoy!